It’s that time of year again. The sun starts to shine more regularly, illuminating all of the things that are taking up valuable space in your home. And the dreaded, but inevitable, yearly task pops up on your to-do list again: Spring Cleaning (cue ominous music).
We’ll keep this one short and sweet because we know you’ve got a lot to do. Here are our tips:
- Plan a weekend to spring clean. Put it on your calendar and protect that time.
- Use the one-year rule. If you haven’t used it in a year…out it goes. Resist the urge to save things you have never used (or haven’t used for a long time) for that project you are going to do…you didn’t. You probably won’t. It’s okay, let it go.
- Plan disposal needs as part of your weekend. Do you need a dumpster? A truck? Signage for a garage sale?
- Recycle/donate what you can. Consider doing a little research about the needs of nonprofits in your community. Identify what they will take, and what they won’t. Ask for recommendations from them.
- Cash out. Consider having a hybrid virtual and in-person yard sale. You can either pocket your earnings or use this opportunity to promote your favorite cause. Ask your trusted CPA, but we’re pretty sure you can write off the donation PLUS you may find people are extra generous toward a mission-driven effort. You do you–we’re just throwing out ideas.
- Budget time to reminisce. If you’re having trouble parting with certain momentos, but know that you need to, take photos of these items to be stored in the cloud forever. This will enable you to go back and revisit memories anytime, while taking up MUCH less space.
- Make it fun! Blast some music, make a TikTok or IG Reel. Invite some friends over to help. Whatever works for you–do that.
We hope these tips help with your spring cleaning this year. Happy cleaning!
Until next time,
RBR Construction & Roofing