Common Terms In Siding

Ever wonder what the heck your construction crew is talking about? Here are some common terms you may hear a siding team using while they are working on the exterior of your home:

  • Course: Row of panels, one panel wide, running the length of the house from one side to the other, or, in the case of vertical siding, from top to bottom.
  • Fascia: The visible area directly above the soffit. Generally the exposed board you see on your roof’s overhang and where gutters are installed.
  • Soffit: The underside of a part or member of a building (as of an overhang or staircase).
  • Drip Cap: L-shaped flashing that goes over windows and doors after they’re installed (but before siding is installed) to prevent moisture from seeping in from above.
  • Channel: The area of the accessory trim or corner post where siding or soffit panels are inserted. Commonly seen when using vinyl siding.
  • Exposure: AKA “reveal”. Width of board siding.
  • Balluster: A vertical component commonly seen in railings, such as stair or deck railings.
  • F-Channel: Used to hold the soffit onto your house.
  • Batten: A strip of wood that seals joints in wooden siding.
  • Flashing: A material which goes between certain parts of your home to keep water from getting in.
  • Gable: Triangular pitch in your roofline and wall where parts of the roof intersect.

Your RBR team is, of course, always willing (and ready) to explain any aspect of the construction process, along with any unfamiliar terms.  Reach out to us any time with questions at (Hood River, OR) or (Willamette Valley, OR).

Until next time,

RBR Custom Construction, CL 202768, RBRCOC*816MJ

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: